Friday 18 May 2012

Challenge #1: Read Great Expectations

I always approach classic literature with a hint of skepticism, like I'm waiting for this world famous author to screw up somehow. I'm not really sure where this comes from, perhaps it's fear. Fear that I won't understand, that it will go over my head and I will be left feeling powerless under the weight of literary genius.

This feeling continues, even though I am constantly proven wrong. Every classic I've read has made me realise why it's a classic (well, except for The Great Gatsby, but maybe I was just too young for that one). I guess those literature professors (or whoever deems these novels to be classics) know what they're talking about.

That being said, I did find Great Expectations a hard slog, although I'm still figuring out why. It wasn't the language - I enjoyed his writing style and that time-traveller feeling you get from reading from the past. The story is captivating, the characters well-developed (I particularly loved Wemmick, with his constant desire to keep his work life and private life separate. And the fact that his father is just referred to as 'The Aged'). I think my major problem was a modern day conundrum: I watched the modern TV version first.

I made a classic blunder, although who can really resist anything on the BBC?? In fact, watching the TV mini-series inspired me to read the classic in the first place. But it ruined the mystery of the novel. I knew what was going to happen to Pip, Estella and dear Joe. The secret behind Pip's Great Expectations and his delusion that Estella was intended for him was no secret for me. That was why I found it so hard to pull the novel closer to me, to get into that excited reading-frenzy that great novels cause. Where you waste away hours in another world and when you emerge you're slightly surprised that the characters aren't standing in front of you. I already knew what was going to happen. All the suspense was spent before I even read the first page.

Still, I guess that doesn't matter as the end result is the same: I have finished reading Great Expectations. I can cross another classic off my list. I am acquainted with Mr Dickens and I find him quite satisfying, thank you very much. He can remain in the classic category, as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment