Thursday 1 March 2012

Challenge #18: Listen to a new album everyday for a week

I set myself this challenge because I often buy or acquire albums and then fail to listen to them in their entirety. It was an interesting experience listening to one band or artist without skipping tracks. I usually just have my entire library on 'random' so this seemed like what normal people do when listening to music.

Day One: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
There's been a lot of hype about this album, mostly because of Liam Gallagher. He's been dissing his brother saying he's the less talented one. And everyone who's heard the album have said that he's wrong. And also a douche. I tend to agree... Pretty good album really, it'll end up on my rotation I'm sure. Has a very Oasis feel to it. Obviously.

Day Two: Crowded House - Woodface
Aussie band or Kiwi band? I know the Finn bros are Kiwis but apparently the band was formed in Melbourne... Anyway, there's something Aussie about these songs, maybe it's just that I grew up listening to them. Sitting on the train, watching London rush by seemed a contradiction.

Day Three: James Morrison - Songs for you, truths for me
Uplifting love songs I guess you could say... This kind of album tends to make me reminisce about past loves and when the song finishes I suddenly wonder why I was remembering someone who was clearly an idiot. I could take this guy or leave him though. Nothing original or particular brain exploding here.

Day Four: Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra
The only problem with listening to this album is the fact that it makes me giggle. Not that I have a problem with that, but it does mean looking a bit deranged on the train. No one smiles on the train. Everyone is sleepy and on their way to work and probably had to run for the train like me. So grinning like an idiot to musical lyrical genius lines like "only a ginger can call another ginger ginger" doesn't really work. But it was totally worth it.


Day Five: Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003
One of those bands that I clearly know but never really knew. I.e. just about every song on this album, I already knew and thought, "Ahh, that's who plays this song". Man on the Moon: awesome classic. John Stipe has an interesting voice, very expressive I think. Almost a little haunting. With a career spanning so many years, he's obviously doing something right!


Day Six: Don't Bore Us - Get to the Chorus! Roxette's Greatest Hits
Yeh, girl power!! This made my Saturday morning trek to Earl's Court that much more enjoyable... When "It Must Be Love" came on, I very nearly regaled the entire street with my own rendition... 


Day Seven: Radiohead
What I'm about to say will make it obvious that I'm not cool. I don't really get Radiohead. I think they are one of those bands that all the cool music kids love and I just think... Whinge whinge whinge. Not so much the lyrics, more his voice. Don't get me wrong, there are some songs I love by Radiohead (i.e. "Talk Show Host" from R+J). "Paranoid Android" is another good un. But I doubt that this album will be making a regular appearance on my playlist... 

No comments:

Post a Comment