Sunday 11 March 2012

Challenge #52: Watch 'Withnail and I'

This challenge stems from a hamster named 'Jeff Wode'.

Intrigued by this name, I soon discovered that he was briefly mentioned in the film, 'Withnail and I'. And so I decided that I needed to see this classic British film.

Set in Camden (although I recognised none of the scenery), two out of work actors, Withnail and Marwood (what is with the names in this film?!), decide to go to the country for a break from their non-existent work lives.

That's about all there is to the film itself. There is also the weird 'Uncle Monty' who pays a surprise visit and spends most of the time hitting on Marwood (who doesn't do a very good job a repelling his affection I don't think). They drink a lot and Withnail goes off on ridiculous rants. Also they have no wellingtons so they wear plastic bags on their feet. Genius idea!

Highlight was definitely the 'Jeff Wode' part, an athlete who was taking anabolic steroids and probably has "huge balls" according to Withnail.

A fairly easy challenge to complete really, but I think if it wasn't a challenge I would have switched the film off very soon after the famous 'Jeff Wode' part. I'm sure there was some deeper meaning, but Sunday evening is not the time to find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment